State Workshop on Biodiversity Conservation & People’s Concerns
19-20 January, 2008, village Talewal- Bhotna, District Barnala
A State Workshop on Biodiversity Conservation and Peoples’ Concerns was held by Kheti Virasat Mission at Akal Academy Talewal (Barnala). About eighty persons who were KVM activists, scientists, agriculture experts, leaders of farmers’ organizations and researchers from
It was unanimously felt by the participants that
The Biodiversity Act is not enough for conserving biodiversity in
It was unanimously decided that Kheti Virasat Mission will launch a campaign in collaboration with other like minded organizations, religious bodies and political parties to revive the biodiversity and natural resources of
In the words of Dr. PV Satish “Biodiversity is not cultivated but it is cultivated automatically. So we should just be careful to provide a suitable environment for it. It is also must to conserve our ancient knowledge to save biodiversity. He also added that it is only possible with the blessings of nature and natural farming is the only way to have those blessings. So natural farming should necessarily be promoted to save biodiversity on this planet earth.
Sh vijay jardhari from Beej Bachao Andolan Utrakhand said that Jal, Jangle and Jameen (water, forest and land) are the base of life. So it is compulsory to save them with their diversity.
Dr.Neelima Jayrath also said that it is very much needed to conserve our ancient knowledge to conserve our biodiversity. It conceders that biodiversity is always given an indication towards the healthy or ill environment.
Dr AK Thukral from GNDU Amritsar said that in our country a large no. of deaths take place due to polluted drinking water. On other hand nations’ 90% industry does not obey the defined rules for it.
- As farmers of Punjab has lost their native seed verities and agro-germ plasm it was resolved to initiate a participatory civil society process to reclaim the traditional agro-biodiversity from PAU, HAU and National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources. KVM will facilitate this process through Vatavaran Panchayats.
- Kheti Virasat Mission will organise a “Identify Biodiversity” yatra in Shivalik belt of
- Community SEED BANKS will be established at various regions of
- KVM shall take-up awareness campaign and organize peoples’ dialogue on lacunae and contradictions of Biodiversity act.
- A mass signature campaign will be started to pressurize the
Punjabgovernment and State Biodiversity Board to initiate a democratic process before finalizing state rules on biodiversity act.
- It is also resolved that State Biodiversity Board should clarify its stand on the rights of Biodiversity Management Committees - BMCs under the Biodiversity Act. The Punjab State Biodiversity Board should take inputs from the real stack holders and owners of this biological heritage before taking any decision in this regard.
- KVM will form an alliance with like minded organisations and farmers groups to take up the issue of biological diversity and threats to Seed Sovereignty and self-reliant agriculture.
More the 70 participant from representing 14 districts of Punjab present in workshop and prominent among KVM activists are Dr Amar Singh Azad, Working Chairman, KVM, Prof Gurbax Singh Chinna, Secratery, KVM, Amritsar, Rajbir Singh , Pimgalwara Society, Amritsar, Dr A S Maan, Sangrur, Hartej Singh, Vice Chairman , KVM.